Saturday 25 August 2012

Tension

I step inside the rusty shipping container,
alert for the whip snake last spotted
yesterday somewhere near this location.
I take stock of the spiders on the walls
and on the equipment I'm trying to collect,
the egg sacks scattered across the metal,
webs stringing together every surface,
but the spiders don't look dangerous.
I stay cautious as I inspect the object
and start scaring the spiders into the corners,
diligently checking each surface and hole
before I risk touching it with gloved hands.

A flash of white catches my attention
and my startled sound echoes a little
as I take quick steps toward the door.
My embarrassment heightens as I slow
and realize its just a small lizard's body
turned with its pale belly toward me.
With a shake of my head, I turn back
to the task, feeling silly and anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment