Sunday 1 April 2012

A Quick Introduction

Why one poem a day?

By forcing myself to publish one poem each and every day I’m committing to the oft-quoted advice of writing something, anything every single day. I also hope to strengthen my poetic voice and share my perspective.



Why reject perfectionism?

The goal is not to publish perfect poems every time, but rather to create something and continue to practice. I’m not going to spend time tinkering endlessly and mulling over word choice every day. Some days, yes, I’ll take the time to indulge my perfectionist tendencies, but most days, I’m just offering thoughts, observations, and feelings-- in verse.



Why cultivate awareness?

I believe the best poems start with honesty and grow from that kernel of truth into powerful works of fiction or non-fiction.



Why start now?

April is National Poetry Month in the United States, and April 1 is the kick-off for National Poetry Writing Month, a challenge to write one poem a day for the month of April.



Why so much eco-poetry?

That’s just what I tend to notice most, and it’s the biggest difference between West Virginia and Western Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment