Sunday 29 April 2012

The High-Vis Lifestyle

Before today's poem, I'd like to thank Vince Gotera for his endorsement and complements on his blog. You should go check out his page for daily poems with gorgeous sensory images, interesting forms, and consistently great poems.

Now today's poem:


At the grocery store, the aisles are lined
with men and women in steel-toed boots
that clunk against the linoleum floors
as they push the barely functional carts
full of pasta and vegetables and long-life
milk in bright blue ultra-pasteurized boxes.
Their button-down shirts of bright yellow
or orange with high visibility reflective
stripes denote a lack of time or concern
or convenience to change before the trip,
and the colors seem to shout, Look at me.
I'm just like everyone else today.

1 comment:

  1. That's really sweet, Megan. Thanks! By the way is just plain "Megan" enough for my feature? Or should I include your last name? Never too late!

    ReplyDelete