Thursday 5 July 2012

When the Squeaking Stops

The constant squeaking sounds small, strange,
like the little mouse with the round, fluffy body
has somehow gotten stuck in the fluorescent light
and hasn't stopped squeaking since I lit the room.
I walk under the light, searching for its hiding spot
because I know it must be in this area, distressed,
if the sounds are any indication, but it can't be
in the light casing; it couldn't have maneuvered
the pipes covering the wires to make the journey.

After fifteen minutes, I notice the hole in the plaster
above the light, providing a small den for a mouse.

After twenty minutes, the squeaking stops completely,
and I can only hope the mouse has settled down
or retraced the route that brought it to the hole,
because I don't want to think about the maximum
temperature of a pair of fluorescent lightbulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment