Saturday 17 November 2012

231. Stalking the Raptor

As I tread down the footpath
against the side of the warehouse,
I notice the raptor has returned
to the perch near the rafters
and the opening the size of a nest.

I slow, then stop completely
to watch the bird take in the area,
its head swiveling back and forth.

I wait for its head to turn right
before I risk one step forward,
then I consider maybe it sees better
from the periphery since its eyes
are settled on the sides of its face.

I wait for it to look toward me
before I take another step,
taking in the color of its feathers,
the way they lay against its neck,
but here still, I feel watched.

I manage six steps, 
each one sharpening the picture
of the raptor against the sky,
its talons wrapped around the post
before it leaps into the air and leaves.

I resume my normal pace
and return to my affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment